THE SUBJUGATION OF HAMUNAPTRA


It is with strong head that I am writing this report or analysis because it is what I ought to have done at least a day after I had attended the play. I couldn’t find the paper where I had written out a few points that will guide my report about this wonderful play.  The play was an experience, a hard to forget one.  I was blessed.

The play I believe is based on how the Egyptians were aware of the god of death and were looking for a way to either conquer or appease it.  Either ways, they try to make ‘whatever happens after death’ be an easy one for their royals.  So, they build them tombs and all for their dead bodies.  There was a particular queen called Nefertiti who tried to conquer death and in collaboration of a priest she did a ritual which actually involved her killing herself hoping she would rise again and conquer death.  My people, na so the Nefertiti babe die o.  Hian! Well, that’s what me I saw on stage.  




By the way, the lady who acted Nefertiti is such a beautiful lady and her choreography was so on point. You’ve never seen a prettier Nefertiti, I promise.







The Costumes: were out of this world. Whoever did the costume for this play did a great Job.



Choreography: The only choreography I got a grip on and enjoyed was that by the demons in the hell scene. Mehn it was funky and on point. 




My Best Scene: For some guys it would have been the Nefertiti scene.  That was a very good one too but the peak for me was the hell scene especially when Jesus came down to hell to get the keys of life and death from the Devil.   I like the way he strolled in looking all humble and peaceful but powerful. The stage was well lit and on fire. The demons in ‘hell’ were looking so scary and very energetic and angry, ready to take him down. I really can’t remember that joke the devil cracked when he was trying to make fun of Jesus. Well, eventually a big fight broke out in hell.   Satan asked all the demons to fight Jesus and he took them all.  He took them down.  At one point, they all came up against him together, all demons practically latched on him. He resisted the pile of evil creatures and got them scattered in different directions.  And then the big fight, Jesus and the devil. Oshe!  Jesus overcame the devil, broke his neck and tore the keys of life and death from his yeye neck. 












   


I’ve never seen a hell scene so on point since them Nosa’s stage play/concert in Unilag those days (can’t remember the name).  Yeah, that one where Wale rubber tore the stage apart I think .


Right after the play, there was a music ministration by members of the Choir and then this anointed songstress with a very powerful voice. 






 
The Testimony: While she ministered, this little boy came up to give his testimony. I was going to cry. We were so blessed by his testimony. He told about how he had a problem with his eye and he had to wear thick lenses. He said people would call him professor.  Then one day, during an healing service in church (Harvesters), Jesus healed him. He didn’t have to wear those thick glasses anymore.  He concluded by saying “If Jesus did it for me, he would do it for you, whatever it is”.





The pastor came up to share the word (briefly) buttressing on the wonderful piece we had just seen.   Then an altar call was made.


The Message: For centuries many have tried to outplay death, avoid death, while other are just fearful of death.  People have done all sorts of ridiculous things to avoid or conquer death.
The bible says when Jesus died and rose again, he conquered death.  He conquered death, hell, and he conquered the enemy and his cohorts of darkness.  He made a public show of them. That’s called ‘triombosis’ (thats the greek term. I learnt that from pastor Chris Okotie many years ago. I will never forget that sermon). He took the keys of life and death and ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand side of Christ Jesus.  




Credits:

Pictures courtesy Martin Ejenebor

‘The Subjugation of Hamunaptra’ is a play by ‘Unveil Studios’ of Harvesters Christian Center.





No comments

Powered by Blogger.