The Verge (Creative): StUn/nUtS Stanley! (Comic Artist/Illustrator)




Name: Stanley Obende


Occupation: I am an illustrator/Comic Artist (for now)


Give us your brief profile:

Stan Obende, or nUtS!/StUn as he's often called, is a comic artist and storyboard illustrator. Currently works at Centrespread as their illustrator, he joggles that with schooling at the National Open University of Nigeria. He's got a knack for all forms of art.




How long have you been doing what you do?

Uhmmm…. Let me see. 6 years professionally, but it started as a hobby ever since I was a child.


Other Interest/skill:

I dance, sing (if I consider my terrible screeching in the bathroom) and workouts (so much in love with that)


Age:

On the 3rd of December, I will be a year older *broad grin*


What has it been like for you as a Comic Artist? What are the challenges you come across in this line of career?

It's been challenging. When you tell people you're an artist, they look left and right, up and down, inside and outside, whistle or just say 'okay'.  Some would think you're just a joke and a waste of time, becoming an artist who paints portraits by the roadside *mssccheww*
Well, I don’t blame 'em because the industry isn’t blown out yet.  By Industry I mean the Comic Industry.  It's still at a low stage but it's developing gradually. So the challenge(s) you face is people not understanding what it is you do.





A major point so far in your career:

Flexibility; That I can work at my convenience *broad grin*


Current Goal:

To become a household name from the comic industry *coughs* That's all


Aspirations/Future plans:

*stern look* ….If I tell you, I’ma have to kill you *laughs*


Experiences, Projects …?

I have done a couple of comic books; some are yet to be published. I’ve worked on ‘Urban Warriors’ for Empire Comics,  ‘Uhuru: Legend of the Windriders’ for Comic Bandit Press( just rounded another edition last month), ‘Urban 30’ for Faded Comics amongst others. I have also done storyboards and illustrations for some advertising agencies and other enterprises. 





Recent Work:

As I stated earlier, I’ve rounded up an edition of Uhuru. Right now, I’m working on my web comic series project titled ‘Avonome’. It is set to be released a week before the Lagos Comic Convention 2014(L.C.C.) in September.




Any Role Model or Individual You Admire in Your Career Field? 

I have loads of people on my list both foreign and local. On the list (in no particular order) is Joe Madureira, Jim Lee, Ibrahim Ganiyu, Keron Grant, Alex Ross, Jide Olusanya, Adam Hughes, Kimson Osaghae, Humberto Ramos, Solomon Osafile, Abolaji Alausa, Chuka Obi etc
*drinks water* Pardon me, It’s a long list. I can’t say everyone’s name.


Contact:

Email address which is billystan2k@gmail.com





2 comments

Unknown said...

That's the Stanch! way to go bro!...again!!!!

Unknown said...

booyaka!!! Always inspiring

Powered by Blogger.