Esther’s Chat with Bespoke Clothier, KCNG



Kingsley Nwosu, KCNG

KCNG’s Kingsley Chidiebere Nwosu is a creative fashion designer and stylist from Abia state. He was a student of the Shaun Fashion Institute.  Kingsley is also a model and a footballer. 

KCNG’s bespoke service is about providing wears that’s suitable and unique to each individual.  It’s about deriving the perfect fit and a sense of ownership between the suit and the wearer.   KCNG has clothed notable celebs and significant individuals amongst which are Samsong (Award winning Gospel artiste), Eben (Gospel Artiste) , Chris Shalom (Gospel Artiste), IGOS (The Prince of Wazobia FM), Mr Francis Onwochei (Nollywood actor) and many more.  KCNG also caters for the fashion needs of individuals in the corporate field who do care about looking dapper and distinguished in their profession. 

Chris Shallom on stage in a KCNG Wear



On Air Personality, IGOS of WAZOBIA FM(Left) and Kingsley of KCNG (Right)
International Music Artiste, Samsong, in a KCNG Wear.

In one sentence, KCNG clothiers ‘suits’ to your taste with ‘perfect fitting’ and a good finishing.

According to the clothe maker, “I am from a family of fashion designers, fashion comes natural to me.”


More about KCNG...

We are mainly into suits, trousers, blazers, shirts and t-shirts.  The KCNG brand is a unique one. There is a touch of the KCNG brand that we want people to experience.  It has to do with our perfect fitting, amazing color combinations and finishing.  It’s called the ‘KCNG fitting’, which you can only experience when you have a trial of the KCNG brand.




In the long run, we intend to run a showroom which is more like a complete fashion center where customers can get quality wear and sound fashion advice. 




How did you start making clothes?

Though I grew up in a family where everyone is into fashion, my initial plan was to travel abroad and play football.  I have always played football and my goal was to be a professional footballer. I had this belief that my football career will take me places and I will do a lot for myself and my immediate environment. My father encouraged me to study and I studied Accounting at the Lagos State Polytechnic, but I had football on my mind all through.  I kept trying to travel abroad but I experienced various setbacks.   One time, a friend of mine asked me to be one of the grooms men for a friend’s wedding and he took me to shop for materials to make a suit for myself.  I decided to make my own suit myself and it turned out really good.  I continued making suits for myself. I would buy the material, design something unique and guide my tailor on how to go about the sowing. This was when my fashion essence surfaced and I started making clothes for other people too. I started by making shirts for friends and family members for free to create awareness for myself.  I tried to define my own unique style this way, until people started recognizing my style, even on sighting apparel made by me. 

I actually discovered my fashion business in church.  I was in the sound department in church and I’m usually the one who takes the microphone to the stage.  People would see me and admire the suit I was wearing.  They would later meet me to find out who made what I was wearing and if I can make one for them too.  Ever since, I’ve been in business.

I’ve been into fashion for six years.


Model for KCNG, Micheal.


Tell us about the business of fashion. How has it been for you?  Do shed light on dealing with customers and challenges you’ve faced in this business.


As regards, dealing with customers...

I do not argue with customers no matter what.  When there’s a mistake whether from me or my client, and they are upset, I keep calm.  My goal is to keep my customer happy.  I strongly believe in referral marketing.  The best type of marketing for business is ‘word of mouth’.  This is because our words can go to places our legs cannot.  Also, I do not make clothes of less expected quality (by clients) or below standard, no matter how much the client has paid.  I remember I made a suit as a gift for a friend who was getting married.  A friend of his who is based abroad saw the wedding pictures and loved what the groom was wearing.  He contacted me and patronized me from all the way.



As for challenges...

The initial challenge I had was meeting up with delivery time.  This is due to tailors’ lack of commitment.  You know how Nigerians can want quick service.  Another challenge I faced was the constraints with communicating my ideas to the tailors I worked with.  You know some of them are not so educated even though they are good at sowing.  They may have an idea of what you ask them to do, but if you are not able to visualize what you are trying to say, there may be an issue.  So I had to learn how to really sow so as to meet up with clients’ demands especially when tailors tend to disappoint.  Another challenge is money.  People don’t pay enough for the ideas. They just want to pay for the sowing and not the ideas. Good clothes come with good ideas, inclusive of the sowing and the design.  Hence I always advice the newbie that, if you are going into fashion, make sure it is something you love.


Models Michael, Tim and Arinze for KCNG


How do get you inspired? What’s your source of inspiration?

My inspiration and creativity is drawn from the word of God.  The first thing man created has to do with fashion.  Man tried to make clothing for himself, though it wasn’t perfect.  When God eventually made one for him, it was perfect.  Man used leaves, but God used animal skin and the clothing turned out better.  Man’s creation was amateur but God made a perfect wear and showed man how to go about it.  So, fashion is the first trend man learnt.

God was very involved at the very foundation of fashion.  Distancing yourself from God as a fashion designer is like removing yourself from fashion.  God coming into your life as a fashion person is like bringing in perfection into your life.  Fashion came out of man, it is inbuilt.  I believe fashion can never go extinct.  It will keep evolving.

My other inspiration is street fashion and art.
Street is where the design is.  You’ll find creativity there.  It’s not just about the four walls of the office where most relax and hope to get creative.  You will definitely get creative when you are out on the streets, hustling.  You will get creatively inspired at the market too.  My inspiration is not just drawn when I sit in a place but also when I am out.


Like on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kcngbrand1
Twitter: @kizzoworld
Instagram:@kcngbrand
Email: kcngworld@gmail.com
Phone: 07066417327, 09091179370

3 comments

Jennifer enthroned said...

Very insightful. I love the origination of his inspiration and the wears are fabulous . Kcng is simply complete

Unknown said...

Hmmmm I am impressed and proud of him. Weldone Kingsley!

dinmafaith2040 said...

Beautiful, so so inspiring. God has really blessed u wit a wonderful handiwork. Kizzzzzzzo u will go places, Kudos

Powered by Blogger.